Wednesday, March 11, 2020

True Confessions Wednesday: Keeping it Simple

True Confession #20: I love simple solutions.

Last week, after thinking about it for a while and talking about it here, I created my drop spot -- just a simple felt tray. Unobtrusive, it has no bells and whistles. It's not perfect (it might be better if it were slightly wider), but it works. Creating the new habit of using it came naturally, which tells me it's the right tool in the right place.

Sometimes, the simplest solution is the answer.

A week or so ago, I stumbled upon another simple solution. When I (finally) sit down to write, my loudest distractions are internal -- go do this, don't forget that, are you sure that's the best way to say that? While that last one can only be tackled with enough time spent writing, the first can be easily dispensed with by taking a moment to jot them down and let them go. For this purpose, I keep a notepad beside my computer so I can do just that. Or, if I want to do a little on-the-fly advance planning, I can use two sticky notes instead: one for tasks I want to complete during the week and one for things I hope to get to on the weekend. (My I need to see it personal style dictates that they be different colors, of course). I can then stick them right inside my planner or on my weekly summary until each task finds a spot on my schedule.


So often, we make organizing harder than it has to be. The next time you're confronted with an organizational challenge, don't just ask yourself the best way to do solve it; in addition, ask yourself the easiest way. Much of the time, the answer to both questions is exactly the same, leaving us with more time at our disposal to tackle life's really tough challenges.




No comments:

Post a Comment