Wednesday, March 4, 2020

True Confessions Wednesday: I Know What I Want

True Confession #19: I want what I want because I know what I need.

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to figure out how to create an unobtrusive drop spot for my school folders that is true to my styles. While the fact that it's a drop spot (or it will be) makes it a perfect fit for my drop and run organizational style, the idea of unobtrusive is a challenge for my I need to see it personal style.

I've been at this long enough to have learned that when I know what I want the end result to be, but I'm not sure how to get there, I need to be patient. Turning all the related questions over in my mind allows me to consider all the possibilities until one snaps into place.

And it almost always does.
When I shared my dilemma with my husband, he immediately suggested my office, which sounds perfectly logical coming from someone with an I know I put it somewhere organizational style, but fails both the drop and run and I need to see it tests. My office is as far from the door I use to enter the house as it could possibly be, making that location neither accessible nor visible. While my drop spot needs to be somewhat tucked away so things don't look cluttered, it also needs to be close to where I pack up (and drop) my supplies each day.

Long story short, I determined a potential location on Saturday and on Sunday, I suddenly knew exactly which tool I needed to make things work. As I write this, I'm awaiting its arrival, looking forward to seeing how it works. I suspect I'll end up taking apart what's already there and relocating some of it, but that's not such a bad idea. The space I've identified is one of those where the things that live there landed there and just stayed. Rethinking their location and giving them intentional homes might be a bonus I hadn't considered when I started thinking about my drop spot. 

One of the benefits of learning how to work with our styles is that we get good at figuring out what we need to make a space work, I've reached the point where I know precisely what I want and what I don't want because I know my styles. While it might take me a little bit of brainstorming before that lighting bolt answer arrives, once that happens, I usually arrive at a long-term solution that everyone can live with. I rarely waste money on tools that don't work and I often improve the spaces surrounding the target area as well.

When it comes to organizing by STYLE, I've found that practice does make perfect -- or at least it provides a shortcut to easy upkeep.


No comments:

Post a Comment