Thursday, March 5, 2020

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Key Considerations When Creating a Drop Spot

Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
On Tuesday, the simple file tray I ordered for my drop spot arrived. I get ridiculously excited about these kinds of deliveries, which nudges me to tackle the task at hand sooner rather than later. I expected to have to revamp the whole space and move multiple things to new locations but, as it turned out, that wasn't necessary. The whole process was much simpler and faster than I expected, largely because I considered three key questions as I determined where the drop spot would go.

Location. Where would I put this drop spot so it's easily visible and accessible? As someone with an I need to see it personal style and a drop and run organizational style, visible and accessible are non-negotiable for me. Nearly all the styles benefit from accessibility but some styles are more comfortable with things being out of sight than we I need to see it folks are. 

Aesthetics.  Even though I like things visible, I still want my living space to look pretty, so aesthetics is a consideration as well. How can I make the space and container visible and accessible without making the area look cluttered? To accomplish this, I need something that will contain the folders and papers so it doesn't just look as though I just haphazardly dumped a pile of stuff. Connected to that is the question of...

Tools. What containers can I use to keep things neat, yet visible (but not too visible)?

The gray felt paper tray -- so simple, yet so perfect for the spot was just the solution I was looking for. As it turned out, it was a little smaller than I'd have liked, but it still works. 

And, as for revamping the space? I only had to move a couple of things and both of them already fit with some other things that had logical homes -- spots with room to grow so I could fit them in with no problem whatsoever.

All told, it took me less than fifteen minutes to get things the way I wanted them. Now I have to live with it for a while and see if any changes are necessary but, for now, I'm happy with my drop spot.

Now to get in the habit of using it. But, after all the consideration I gave it, I don't expect that to be a problem at all.

Guess it's time to get cracking on that clipping file.

No comments:

Post a Comment