Thursday, March 26, 2020

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Keys for Keeping the Home/School/Work Fires Burning

Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
As a work-from-home(ish) person, I'm used to being on my laptop a lot. But now that my classes (the non-work-from-home element of my work life) have gone online, I'm on it all the time.

I'm all computered out. 

Now in week 2 of both my self-imposed quarantine and the ever-evolving online version of my class, I've developed a few guidelines for those of us who thought we had this work-from-home thing figured out but are now finding it a tad overwhelming.

Follow the rhythms. Your circadian rhythms, that is. If you are someone who automatically wakes up at the same time each day and sticks effortlessly to a routine, you're all set. If you (like me) are not, don't feel guilty about setting your work hours around your body's natural clock -- at least as long as you show up for any required meetings.

Listen to your body. I can feel all these extra hours in my back, shoulders and eyes, and I need to remind myself to move regularly, whether it's just looking away from my screen or getting up and walking around. Who knew a(nother) load of laundry could be good for me?

Seek balance. Like many other families, mine is working from home -- all three of us. Small potatoes to many families, but that's triple the number of us usually at home during the day. Since we're all on different schedules, it's easy for each of us to get tunnel vision and for any (or all) of us to  be working at any given time. Finding time to spend alone and together, at work and not at work, on the computer and away from it is important. This is especially true when the tool we use for work can be the same one we use for play. Without the physical break between work (or school) and home, we need to make a concerted effort to create one of our own. 

How about you? What tips and tricks have you discovered for making your multipurpose home/school/office smoothly?

Want more? Visit my Porch Swing Chronicles blog for my post, 

No comments:

Post a Comment