Thursday, February 7, 2019

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Keys to Creating Routines

Photo: Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
Yesterday,  I wrote about invisible routines that help me keep things running smoothly as well as improving my efficiency. When used well, routines add a consistency to our days that helps us feel calmer and more efficient.

Thinking of coming up with a few routines of your own? Here are three things to consider.

Keep them simple. Routines should work in our service, making things easier, not more complicated. A good routine improves flow and efficiency, but establishing a routine just for the sake of doing so often wastes time instead of saving it.

Honor your styles. One of the reasons I love my school day routines so much is that they fit right in with my I need to see it personal style. I'm sure professors who take attendance at the beginning of class and don't feel the need for paper copies would see my way of doing things as cumbersome, but I developed my routine after trying those ideas and finding they didn't work well for me. My routine not only fits my personal style, but it also puts my mind at ease.

Don't overdo it. Routines are helpful in moderation, but too many routines can box us in. We're not robots, so we need to strike a balance between routine and flexibility. If things are already going smoothly, save the energy required to create a routine. In other words, if it's not broken, there's no need to fix it.

Routines should free us up to enjoy the things in life that are more fun than efficient, as well as providing us with peace of mind. Are your routines living up to those standards and working in your service, or do they need an overhaul?

No comments:

Post a Comment