Thursday, February 14, 2019

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Key Elements of "The Plan"

Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
Yesterday, I wrote about remembering to use the strategies we've selected, and the title of the post ("Note to Self: Use the Plan") got me thinking.

What's the plan?

When we organize by STYLE, each of us will create a plan that's somewhat unique. Sure, we're all operating out of the same six styles, but since personalities, tastes and individual preferences vary, every I need to see it/drop and run person will put her (or his) own twist on the tools and strategies that comprise their organizational blueprint.

Here are three key concepts -- perhaps even the top three -- I need to keep in mind if I have any hope of staying organized.

Write it down. Whether it's a task, an appointment or an idea, writing it down not only helps me remember it, but also frees my mind to brainstorm it further and/or concentrate on other tasks. My planner/list/clipboard system screams I need to see it and, best of all, keeps it all in one place.

Take small steps. I run into trouble, organizationally speaking, when I run out of time. When things get hectic, I don't always choose/remember to use my systems (see yesterday's post). Aligning my systems with my styles is the first step, but putting habits like Don't Put it Down, Put it Away! and Give it Five! to use help me to stay on top of things (or at least avoid the piling that's the default setting of someone with an I need to see it personal style) when time is limited. Then, when things slow down, I have less to tackle. 

Focus on the visual. My all-time favorite tool is an open-top file bin -- it allows me to put things away, but still see them. In addition, I color-code -- a lot! -- sometimes down to the color of the paper clip I use to keep papers for my classes together. This allows me to see at a glance where something belongs.

Bonus strategy: Value clear space. As someone with an I need to see it personal style, I have a lot of piles. When I finally clear off a space that was laden with visual reminders, I feel not just a sense of accomplishment but a sense of peace as well. Keeping those hot spots clear is an important investment in organization, but perhaps more important, it's an investment in
my well-being as well.

What are three key elements of your plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment