Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Invisible Routines

rayedigitaldesigns via Pixabay
Changes in life require changes in organization. There are the obvious examples, like moving and home renovations, but there are also subtler changes that require us to come up with methods of keeping the non-tangibles organized and creating peace of mind as a result.

This semester, I'm once again teaching three classes, but this time, they're essentially the same. All three classes are child development classes and there's a substantial overlap in content. I teach two of the classes back-to-back in the same room, making it impossible to anchor what I've said to a specific location.

I'm not complaining. In fact, I'm finding that the reduction in planning time is a nice bonus. In addition, I opted for these teaching times, which are convenient to my schedule.

The problem is not in timing, but rather in remembering. Because the first several units are essentially the same, keeping track of where I left off in each class can be challenging.

Another challenge I face is with the online attendance option. I really like it, but needed to find a way  to do it without it being disruptive to the flow of the class. For this reason, along with my own I need to see it personal styleI really need a paper copy of the attendance for my own use.

These kinds of organizational issues are invisible to others, but make a big difference in the flow of my day and my sense of confidence as an instructor. When I'm unsure of where to begin or distracted by details, I'm off my game. My teaching suffers and classes don't go as well as they might otherwise. I'm less enthusiastic, which pulls down the energy of the whole room. At some points in the semester, this can be disastrous.

To maximize flow, confidence and efficiency, I needed to find solutions to these invisible problems.

Solution A: A planner for keeping track. This is so simple. My planner has both weekly and monthly layouts. In the monthly layout, I keep track of due dates for long-term assignments (color-coded by class). In the weekly layout, I keep track of where each class left off or, more accurately, where to begin the next class. When I set up before class, I pull out the planner, open it to the current date and leave it on the podium. At the end of class, it takes less than 30 seconds to write where to begin the next time we meet. Laying it out at the start of class allows me to reference my notes from the last class so I know where to begin as well as saving time when I'm wrapping things up at the end of class. This way, even when all three classes have mysteriously ended up in different places, I don't have to ask my students where we left off.

MoteOo via Pixabay
Solution B: Class list on a clipboard. Last summer, I discovered a printable grade book on the Super Teacher Worksheets site. I use one of these sheets for each class roster and, at the beginning of class, pull it out, put it on my clipboard and take attendance the old-fashioned way, which allows me to have what I call my "orientation slide" up for my students when they come into class. I keep the roster on my clipboard until I enter the attendance into the online site, then put it back into my folder. This visual reminder keeps me accountable. If the roster's still on the clipboard, I still need to enter the attendance into the online portal.

These kinds of routines may seem silly, but they're the kind of small steps that assure that things get done. Putting my I need to see it personal style to work helps keep things running smoothly.

What invisible routines do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment