Thursday, August 27, 2020

3 Keys Thursday: When it Falls Apart

A few weeks ago, I was reading an article about mindfulness and/or coping with stress (I don't remember which) and it recommended creating a peaceful space at home that included sentimental objects. I smiled and immediately thought of my office with its newly cleared counter and recently cleared desk, both of which boast more than their fair share of sentimental objects.

Between the time I read the article and now, my beautiful office has become, shall we say, cluttered. As a result, I have become, shall we say, frustrated. The various folders, papers and notebooks I've been using for class prep have taken up residence on far too many flat surfaces. Right now, it's hard to find any semblance of an organizational system in a room that looks a lot like my mind feels.

Fortunately, a system exists, even if it's not currently in evidence, and I need to remind myself that there are predictable times when that system is put to the test.

When we're overbooked. This situation is familiar to anyone with an I love to be busy personal style, but these folks are experts. They live on the line between too busy and just busy enough, which often enables them to get things back into order quickly. The rest of us amateurs might have to work a little harder to restore order but, take heart. As long as the overbooking abates, a system that was working before the fact can be uncovered again.

When life changes. Whether it's a normal development like a teenager leaving the nest or an unwelcome event like a family illness or crisis, life changes can make it hard to keep up, let alone keep up appearances. The ebb and flow of belongings and material goods that accompany these changes can further complicate matters. Sometimes, the old systems remain sustainable; other times, they need to change, too. 

When our schedule changes. Most of us grow accustomed to some degree of routine and, when our routine goes by the wayside, our organizational systems can falter as well. A return to routine might mean a return to the systems we've always used. Alternatively, a new life routine might call for a new organizational routine to go with it.

While we can't avoid these types of changes or the organizational frustrations that accompany them,  understanding that they are temporary and/or transitional can help us to see them as organizational turning points rather than organizational crises. This simple reframing can help us to go easier on ourselves when the spaces we've worked so hard to clear off become temporarily littered with the detritus of life. 

As for me, I dealt with my rising frustration tonight by falling back on a tried-and-true technique: Give it Five! While an actual return to order will require more time, five minutes was enough to create some clear space and help me to see the promise of progress, even if the bigger steps that I need to take have to wait until this weekend when I have more time. 

I know that next week, I'll likely find myself in this position again because I remain in that transitional space between summer and the school year. I'm sure I'll have to make adjustments, especially if I find weak spots in my existing plans, but I've cleared the spaces and I remain committed to not allowing them to return to their former non-glory.

Bring it on, fall semester. I'm ready for your organizational challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment