Thursday, July 2, 2020

STYLE Then & Now: Taking My Stuff on the Road

With everything that's going on this summer, last summer's events seem so far away. This time last summer, I was celebrating a new book and preparing to go to a conference as not only as an attendee, but as a presenter as well. 

Since my favorite tools list is, like organizing itself, a work in progress, I thought I'd look back at last year's recommendations and see if they still held true. Last year, three of my key packing tools were:

My conference bag. Though I try to keep the stuff I lug around to a minimum, it's helpful to have some sort of bag to corral everything so I can keep my hands free for handshakes, pouring water and handing out business cards. This time around, I chose to use one of my Know Thyself  totes so I could advertise, too.

The bags that my sheets came in. These fabric, drawstring bags that held my sheets when they were new are a great way to transport shoes. I've pulled the drawstrings all the way through on a few of them, so I now just tuck the fabric under or wrap the drawstring around the top of the bag and tie it shut. I have a couple of smaller bags that pillowcases came in; those are great for jewelry and perfume.

Pill sorters and toilet paper tubes. One of the things I love about Pinterest is that it's full of great ideas other people came up with. Pill sorters (the kind that have a compartment for each day of the week) are great for transporting earrings. If I slide the pill sorters into into the little pouch (otherwise known as the bags my pillowcases came in), the earrings stay safe even if one of the compartments pops open during travel.

And the toilet paper tubes? Drop one end of the necklace through the tube and bring it back around the outside of the tube to clasp it. This can also be tucked into one of the little pouches (or, failing that, a resealable plastic bag) to keep it from tangling. I like to decorate the tubes with Washi tape to make them look pretty.



This summer, a writing conference isn't in the cards but we did keep our reservations at the beach. I carried my usual bag of goodies for the car ride (in lieu of a conference bag), but I also pack plenty of reading material, writing stuff, and other things to keep me entertained. This year, I packed all of that into a sturdy, cloth-covered bin. It's the perfect size for magazines, file folders and, as you can see, a pad for doodling random ideas. And, as I said yesterday, it helps me stay organized and keep things tidy while I'm away. In addition, it stores easily in the car without tipping over. 

As for the drawstring fabric bags, pill sorters and toilet paper tubes? Staples in my travel arsenal, they all made the trip to the beach as well and I am happy to report that no necklaces became tangled in the process. 

How about you? What helps you stay organized when you're away from home?

No comments:

Post a Comment