Thursday, July 9, 2020

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Everyday Travel Considerations

Last week, I wrote about the tools I need when I'm traveling for an overnight stay or longer, but most of my travel, especially these days, is more mundane. Assigning homes to the things we take with us on a regular basis, even if just to run a quick errand, helps us to feel less scattered and more on top of things.

We all have our own list of things that we grab when we leave the house so we can feel organized and prepared on the go. Here are a few of mine.

When I'm running a quick errand or two, I might grab just my keys and the small holder that has my license and school ID, a credit card and a bit of cash but, most of the time, I take a bag of some sort with me when I leave the house. The ID holder is easily tossed into my school bag or my writing bag. For longer trips or family outings, I grab my purse, which is fully stocked with more of everything (except my license and ID, of course).

My phone -- and a place for it. Keeping my phone in the same spot eliminates a lot of panicked moments when I'm on the go. I have a rule that any purse or bag I buy must have a dedicated spot for my phone. This keeps me from tossing it "wherever" (at least most of the time). If I don't bring a purse or a bag with me, I stick it in my back pocket, if I have one. If I don't have a purse or a pocket? Well, that's when I get into trouble. 

A notepad and a writing implement to organize my thoughts. Most of the bags I use on a regular basis are pre-stocked with these, and I have a wire-bound notebook and a few writing implements in my car as well. Yes, I know I can put memos on my phone (that's what my husband does) but not only am I old school, I also have an I need to see it personal style. As soon as that phone gets tucked neatly into its home, my reminder, thought or brainstorm disappears. 

In addition, my husband, my daughter and I all have reusable shopping bags (among other things) in our cars for those occasions where we forgot to bring them along and/or didn't think we'd need one. 

Clearly, those are just the basics but, for most trips, they'll suffice. What are your on-the-go organizing basics?

No comments:

Post a Comment