Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A Little Adjustment

Pixabay
Sometimes, we fall into patterns of behavior that seem perfectly logical. We continue with them almost mindlessly, until they become habits and before we know it, we're doing the same things in the same order without even considering whether or not there's a better way. 

I've been doing this with my class preparations. Then, each week, I chalk up the fact that I feel pressed for time to the usual problem: too much to do in too little time. That, and a healthy dose of procrastination atop the whole thing like some sort of wayward cherry.

Last week I decided to try changing the order of events a bit, and loosening up my self-imposed timelines.

What a difference. 

When I realized how much less stressed I was, I wondered why I'd continued to do things the same way for so long.

Habits are a funny thing. When they're good ones, they work in our favor, but when they're not so good, they drag us down. Unfortunately, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between a good habit and a not-so-good one, and it's only when we make adjustments that we see how much better things could be.

I'm still adjusting a bit to my new way of looking at things, and arguing with myself about the looser time frames. Am I slacking off, or finally being realistic? Only time will tell. 

Luckily, whatever the answer turns out to be, I can always adjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment