Thursday, November 4, 2021

One Hour Projects


Yummymoon via Pixabay

Last weekend, I came up with a new weapon to add to my organizing arsenal. I was setting my November goals, trying to decide what I wanted my organizing focus to be, and I was a little frustrated, feeling as though I keep writing down the same organizing wish list every month. Something about the holiday season kicking off in less than a month made it seem a little more important to do more than write it down.

But the end of the semester is coming, too, following right behind Thanksgiving and only two weeks before Christmas. What could I realistically do?

Take small steps. 

And that's when my one hour project plan was born. 

I've decided that each week, I'm going to dedicate an hour to one of my organizing goals. I'll simply set a timer and give myself permission to stop when the timer goes off. I might not get it finished, but at least I'll make progress. 

So, what's my organizing goal this week?

Despite my enthusiasm for this new plan, I couldn't decide. But my overall goal for the month is to aim for clear spaces, so I started there. I did a brief foray into my closet, swapping out summer shoes to make space for fall shoes and boots, but that only took me about 20 minutes, so I'm now on the lookout. I have my eye on a space next to my desk where I've stored some things I'd like to find a new home for. That much of the project can easily be completed in under an hour, and it might also open the door to an office reconfiguration I'm considering.

Sometimes small steps are five-minute tasks. Other times, they're the first step toward something larger. 

Stay tuned.

1 comment: