Thursday, July 9, 2015

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Key Ideas for the I Need to See it Personal Style

DodgertonSkillhause via Morguefile

Last Thursday, I posted my final Throwback Thursday post. The truth is, I've run out of relevant posts to fill that slot, so today, I'm starting a new feature: 3 Keys Thursday. Inspired by last week's improvement of my I need to see it bathroom drawer, (and because I'm an I need to see it person myself), I'm leading off with 3 Keys for those with the I need to see it personal style.





Recycled Drawer Organizer
urbangirl.com
  • Subdivide drawers. As a rule, I need to see it  people do best when our stuff is visible, but we can't leave every element of our lives on display. That's just creepy. Drawer organizers (store-bought or homemade) enable us to put typical storage spaces to use by rendering the contents of drawers and other closed-off spaces visible as soon as we open them. Multi-drawer units can be further de-mystified by labeling the outside of the drawer with the general contents of the inside (e.g. "paper products"). This is the one strategy that helps me tame the fear that out of sight really is out of mind.
  • Lay it all out. Anyone who doubts that I need to see it   is my preferred personal style should watch me pack for a trip. If I don't lay it out (and that means practically everything except toiletries), it doesn't make it into the suitcase. I can tell when I'm close to finishing my packing because one by one, all of the piles begin to disappear. I'm much less worried about forgetting things if I see the big picture as I plan.
Barker Creek Giraffe file folders
urbangirl.com
  • Employ striking visuals. If color-coding is key, pattern-coding is even better. Even my file cabinet, which is mostly archival storage, contains multi-colored file folders. I assign a hanging folder color to each of my classes, and, when possible, match the inside folders to the color for that class, and use that option to tag all the files for that class on my Mac. Even better are the distinctive, patterned file folders that tell me which pile of papers is inside the folder before I even open it up. Lately, I've gotten really lucky, scoring 3 packs of patterned folders in the dollar bins at Target. This concept can be extended to desk bins, storage bins, or any other container.

If you have an I need to see it personal style what are the key ideas you swear by? Share in the comments below! 

For printable information sheets about containers and the styles, 
click on the CHARTS tab at the top of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment