Thursday, April 30, 2020

True Confessions Wednesday: Self Care

True Confession #25: Tonight, instead of writing this blog, I mixed myself a drink and indulged in a Zoom happy hour with friends.

What does this have to do with organization?

Not a thing. But it has a lot to do with time management and self-care. I'd spent the whole day on school stuff -- meetings, emails, grading -- and had gone back to my desk after dinner to finish a set of papers. More papers -- and planning -- loomed, as did this blog post.

Take a break?

No better time.

I'm not complaining. I love my job and I love writing these posts. Though I prefer to do both during the daylight hours, that's not always how it plays out, mostly because I have a hard time stepping away. Sometimes I need an excuse, but even when one shows up in my inbox, I can be a little dense.

Today was (fortunately) not one of those days.

Powering through is sometimes what we need but, more often, it isn't. If the fuse is lit and we're on fire to finish something, powering through is the way to go. But when our minds and bodies are telling us otherwise, listening is the smart thing to do.

Today was a difficult day -- nothing major, just one of those days -- but tomorrow will be better because I took care of myself tonight.

Take care of you. There's no better investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment