Thursday, April 16, 2020

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Key Things that are Keeping the Work Flow...Flowing

Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
Two weeks ago, I wrote about three things I realized about myself as a result of moving to online instruction. One of those had to do with my need for work flow. I don't think I'm alone in this but, like every other aspect of organization, what flows for one person might not flow so well for someone else.

When we switched to online classes, one of the first things I had to figure out was how to establish a smooth work flow in my office. When I write, all I need is a place for my laptop but when I'm going back and forth between Zoom meetings, grading and planning, I need more space.

It took me a little while but, luckily, I had all the pieces at my disposal and it was just a matter of working it out.

My desk has been clear for nearly three months now -- a lifetime record (adult life anyway), I'm sure. There are a few things that live on top of it but the workspace is clear. It begins each day like that and is returned to that same state every night. Sounds small, perhaps, bu for me, it's a big deal. That clear space was phase one.

Months ago, my sister brought me a small table that used to be in my parents' house. I didn't have a spot for it, so I temporarily put it in my office, where I quickly grew attached to it as an extra work space. Now it has become, my auxiliary desk.

Phase 2.

Tucked under my desk is a green rolling bin that has served many different purposes, but is currently the repository for all of my class materials, most of which are gathered in a binder and a plastic box the size of an oversized notebook. Because it's on wheels, I can pull it out as I need it and tuck it away when I'm finished.

Phase 3.

Except for the desk, everything is moveable, which means I can make adjustments as I need to but, a month into this little online game, I'm pretty happy with the way things are going. The things that live on my desk (pencils, scrap paper, beach coaster for my tea) round out the system, keeping things running smoothly.

Now, if only I could whip that pesky counter into shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment