Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Wednesday Evening Musings

Good evening, friends! I started out the day on top of things, posting the link to today's visit to the Inspired Prompt blog (thanks for having me back, ladies!). Then, I went off to teach, today's post for this blog running through my head.

And now it's 8:30 p.m. and the post hasn't left my head and made it to the page yet. Some days are like that.

BilliTheCat via Pixabay
Like my schedule, my closet has reached that point, except that with my closet, the balance is better. One in? Maybe. One out? Definitely.

Most of what I'm weeding is easy to let go of -- and that's coming from someone who's definitely not a ruthless de-clutterer.  When I retired seven years ago, I slowly (and cheaply) restocked my casual basics -- jeans, solid color tees, sweaters, and tank tops for layering -- because that was all I needed. I shopped sales and consignments and did a lot of one-in-every-color shopping.

Seven years later, those pieces are showing their age. A few are still holding their own, but most are earning failing grades in either fit or style, making it easy to dump them or donate them, depending on their condition.

As much as I love clear space, though, I'm reaching the point where clear space in my closet is becoming problematic. Everything's going, but not much is replacing it. That's great -- to a point. After all, how many clothes do we really need?

I don't have a good answer to that, but I do know that I'm at a turning point. Is the empty space in my closet a sign of a deficit, or an opportunity to rebalance and reorganize?

I'm choosing to look at it as an opportunity. For once, I actually feel as though there's enough space in my closet for everything I own which makes me want to seek another opportunity -- the opportunity to dig deeper and see what else can go. Usually, I get rid of things a little at a time, often after spending an entire day wearing something I didn't feel good in. Now, though, I see the chance not for a new wardrobe, but for a do-over.

So, I'll stick with slow and steady, weeding as I go and perhaps setting aside some time to dig deeper and create more room so I can actually see what I have and what I need. While I'm at it, this might be a good time to rearrange things and take my closet to a new level of organization.

Now if only it were that easy to weed out my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment