Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Consistency or Flexibility?

My desk never looks this good, especially when I'm working.
But, this is exactly what I do with my stuff when I'm
packing up to go to work.
(Photo: rawpixel via Pixabay)
When I can, I try to make connections from post to post, especially from Wednesday's narrative to Thursday's "3 Keys" post. I often do this on purpose, but sometimes, it happens entirely by accident. Other times (like today) I see the connection only in retrospect.

Last Wednesday, I wrote about the importance of flexibility and then, on Thursday, I shared a post from two years ago, citing a few of my favorite school supplies -- the ones that keep me organized in my I need to see it/drop and run fashion -- and I promised to revisit the tools this week. 

Well, whaddaya know? A built-in discussion on flexibility and consistency. Yeah. I meant to do that. 

These kinds of accidental discoveries happen in organizing as well. The temporary fix that revealed all the attributes necessary for a permanent solution. The container you saved "just because" that turned out to be the perfect size/color/shape for something you needed to store. The "find" in the dollar bin or on the clearance rack that you didn't even know existed. 

In last Thursday's post, I said, "since my styles haven't changed, I know just which tools I need to get me through the transition from summer to semester." This is true. But it's also true that, while my styles haven't changed, other things do change and so finding the balance between consistency and flexibility is key. 

As long as a system or container is still working, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. But sometimes materials degrade over time (especially when it comes to office supplies), needs change or we find that the system we we thought was such a great idea two months ago just isn't cutting it. Knowing when to hang on and when to let go is an important key to creating sustainable organizational systems.  

Today I want to take a look at those favorites from two years ago through today's lens. Tomorrow, I'll share three more tools that made the cut this semester.
  • Flat surfaces. Two years ago: "To make sure I don't forget anything, I lay everything out, separated into piles by course (a general psych pile, an early child development pile and a freshman seminar pile). Then, each pile goes into a hanging file folder that goes into my bag, and off I go!" 
         Today: Whether I'm heading to class or packing for vacation, I still lay out whatever I need to
         put into my bag. As someone with an I need to see it personal style, I have to have this visual 
         in order to feel secure in the knowledge that I'm not forgetting anything. The hanging file
         folders are gone, though, replaced by file folders (no sharp edges) color coded by class. Since
         the combination of courses I'm teaching has changed, flexibility in my systems is important. 
  • Steno book. Two years ago: "The two column layout allows me to put two classes on the front of each page and my third class and my writing projects on the back. This keeps all my to-do lists in one place, held together by the spiral at the top of the book."    
          Today: My trusty steno book is on hold, replaced by a slightly more visual one-two punch of a
          clipboard and my "THIS WEEK" sheets. Note that the steno book is on hold, not replaced...yet. 
          I missed it yesterday and I'm not certain it won't return to the rotation. I really like how that top 
          spiral keeps everything corralled. 
  • Planners--this year's and last year'sTwo years ago: "When it comes to my classes, I use my planner as a combination calendar/journal. I write all my due dates (color coded by class) on the month-view pages and use the daily pages to keep track of my progress."
          Today: Nothing has changed. Using my planners in this way helps with future planning as well 
          as helping me to make sure I'm on track. Once again, color coding is my friend.

freeGraphicToday via Pixabay
Tomorrow, I'll share three tools that have made the cut this semester, supplementing the systems I already have in place, along with why I made the changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment