Thursday, March 29, 2018

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Keys to Enjoying That Day Off

Photo: Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
One of the hallmarks of Organizing by STYLE is personalization. Just as one size doesn't fit all in the organization of our things, one size doesn't fit all when it comes to managing time either. (And if you read yesterday's post, you know I remain a work in progress in the latter!)

When the miraculous gift of time known as a day off rolls around, we all have our own ideas as to what constitutes a day off well spent. Still, the approach to the day and the recap at the end of the day can lead us to very different conclusions about the value in the way we spend/spent our time.

Here are a few ideas for tackling that day off so that you enjoy it as much in retrospect as you did while it was occurring.

Rise and shine! As a night owl, my favorite part of a day off is not having to set an alarm. You, on the other hand, might prefer to follow the excellent Type A advice of getting up at the same time every day or, your day off may not coincide with other family members' days off, so you might not get to choose. Whatever your plans for rising and shining, this is the kick-off to your day. Up early against your will? Use it as an opportunity to do something you don't usually get to do, whether it's enjoying an extra cup of coffee in a quiet house or going out someplace special. Crawling back under the covers for some extra zzs? Enjoy them guilt-free.

Decide on your purpose. As you can imagine based on the paragraph above, I'm not a spring out of bed kind of girl. But, I am almost always awake for a while before I climb out of bed to face the day. I use those last few minutes in bed to take some quiet time in prayer and mentally lay out my goals for the day. Planning the day the night before can work, too, but for me, too much planning at bedtime sets my mind zooming when it should be winding down, so at night, I try to limit myself to jotting down a few not-to-be-forgotten items. Laying out my goals for the day each morning energizes me and primes my brain for action, especially when I'm planning a day off that stretches ahead, filled with possibility. Conversely, you might not want to set any plans at all, preferring simply to...

haengematteORG via Pixabay
Be flexible. Selfishly, I love having a day off when no one else in my house does. I sleep in, plan my day and actually accomplish most of the things I plan before I even climb out of bed. While the first two things still hold true when my day off coincides with another family member's, the actually accomplishing stuff part tends to fall short. Reminding myself at the start of the day that things might not go according to my plan (which is usually a tad overzealous anyway) helps me to be patient when my to-do list stalls and to see interruptions and changes in plans as opportunities instead of obstacles.

Whether your idea of a perfect day off is tackling a major project, crossing things off a to-do list or kicking back and relaxing, make the most of this gift of time by doing what you want, not what you think you're supposed to do. There's plenty of room for "shoulds" on all of those other days.

No comments:

Post a Comment