Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Shopping for a Solution

Pixabay
Last Saturday, my husband and I did a little shopping. We started out visiting a local market that left us disappointed when it turned out to be something completely different than either of us had expected. As we left, we discussed whether or not there was anything nearby worth exploring. We ended up at Home Goods (clearly my suggestion), where we browsed to the tune of almost $100.

I love Home Goods. I can have fun there whether I'm looking for something in particular, or just browsing. Although Saturday's trip was impromptu, once inside, I quickly thought of a couple of things that might spruce up our space. Cruising up and down the aisles discussing the possibilities was a lot of fun. Since I only sort of knew what I wanted, many things were possible.

Sometimes, even when you know what problem you want to solve, browsing offers the best solutions.  As someone with an I need to see it personal style, I'm a big fan of unique containers and offbeat uses for traditional items. I'm always willing to trade in a traditional tool for something less traditional, or to use something in a different way than it was intended to be used, especially if it looks good and functions well. 

I'm a firm believer that organizing should be fun and that the end result should be stylish as well as practical. Window shopping to brainstorm solutions can lead to things we never thought of -- ideas that bring the practical and the pretty together . 

So, the sign in the photo at the top of this post? Not the way to approach organizing. The more open we are to recognizing that there's more than one way to do things, the more fun and satisfying this whole process will be.

As for us? We replaced some area rugs, solved the problem we set out to solve and fixed a long-term issue I'd all but forgotten about as well.

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment