Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A Few of My Favorite Tools

staples.com
Maybe it was the tax paperwork (which you'll read about tomorrow) or maybe it was the weather, but I was in an organizing mood last weekend. I've always enjoyed organizing, but since I've started using style-based strategies, I like it even more. I know which tools work for me, and I'm quick to say "thanks, but no thanks" to those who suggest strategies that sound great but don't work for me (binders and file cabinets, anyone?).

In addition, I surround myself with tools that I know will work. Here are a few of my favorites.
  • A label maker. Sure, you can hand print, but not only are printed labels easier to read, they also make everything look neat and uniform.
  • Accordion folders. These formed the basis for my tax paperwork and came in handy for storing old presentations I uncovered while cleaning the basement. They work well for corralling not only papers, but index cards, receipts and small notes -- and there's no need to punch holes or worry about things falling out the sides.
  • Topless bins. What other kinds of bins would a drop and run organizer use? My favorite find was file bins that allow me to see the (often color-coded) files they house, helping me transfer the concept of filing papers to an I need to see it-friendly method. Open containers make it as easy to put things away -- where they belong -- as it is to put them down -- where they don't belong.
How about you? What are your favorite organizing tools?

No comments:

Post a Comment