Thursday, January 5, 2023

Organizing FAQs: How do I Fix My Organizing Trouble Spots?


 One of the things I look forward to doing over my breaks between semesters is digging into organizing projects. You might think that someone who writes about organization doesn't have many of those, but there are always a few on my list. Organizing is a dynamic process, and refreshing our organizational systems is a bit like redecorating a room. We don't need to start from scratch, but a little refresh works wonders.

This isn't the case with every organizing project, though. While most of my organizing projects consist of sorting though piles created by the collision of my drop and run organizational style, my I need to see it personal style and too much to do in too little time, I still have spaces where the organizational systems I'm using aren't quite right. In most cases, the system I'm using seemed right at the time, but isn't cutting it for the long haul.

When that happens, there are a few things I need to consider.

  • Am I the only one using this space? We have multiple personal and organizational styles at work at my house. If someone else also needs to use the system I've set up, they might not like (or use) the same tools I'd select. Sometimes I can find another option (often a compromise); other times, I simply need to take on ownership of the space and whatever tool(s) I've chosen. I could simply reiterate the rules (and sometimes I do), but I have to decide which is more important: the relationship or the organizing principle.
  • Is it the right container? Many of us who struggle to get/stay organized are still using traditional tools even though they aren't a good fit. Sometimes this happens because we're sharing an organizational task (a shared file cabinet when one spouse likes this option but the other has an I need to see it personal style). Other times, we simply haven't found a good substitute. In the second scenario, we need to consider what we need that our current tool doesn't have, and choose a replacement accordingly.
  • Is the container the right size? I have enough experience to have learned that I need to select containers with room to grow but, sometimes, I still get sucked in by a tool that calls out to me. Such was the case with the home I selected for my school folders, a lovely gray flannel letter holder that was woefully unprepared for the deluge of papers my drop and run organizational style piled there over the course of a semester. While my end-of-semester purge made it less of a leaning tower of folders, it lacks the requisite room to grow, leaving me with two choices: keep on top of the folders so they don't overrun the container, or choose a deeper container.
  • Is this a time or seasonal issue? There's a reason I end my semesters with a list of organizing projects. The busyness that accompanies the end of each semester can make it hard for me to keep up with (or be motivated to do) organizational tasks. This can also happen in busy seasons (Christmas, for example) or seasons of life (e.g. leading up to or following a major life event). Even the best of systems is no match for exhaustion or a dearth of time. If we're able to restore order quickly once we have time to attack the piles, it's likely the systems aren't to blame. But, if they are, there's nothing like a dedicated organizing session to expose the weak spots in the system and motivate us to shore them up.

No matter the system or tool that we select, organizing is never a one-and-done proposition. Every space will eventually need sorting and refreshing as we endeavor to maintain a balance between what comes into our homes and what gets to stay there. While a temporarily overwhelmed container may not necessitate going back to the drawing board, any container that leaves us feeling overwhelmed should be ditched in favor of something better. 

Wondering which containers might be a good fit for you? Check out the Charts tab at the top of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment