Friday, October 7, 2022

Thursday Thoughts (on a Friday): Domino Organizing and System Failures


 For the second week in a row, I missed my self-imposed Thursday deadline and am (apologetically) writing this post on a Friday. Today, however, I am officially on fall break (as of about three hours ago), and I am giving due consideration to which organizing projects will make the cut for what is essentially a four-day weekend. 

Inside? Outside? Visible surfaces? Insides of drawers and closets? All are vying for my attention. 

A couple of weekends ago, I whipped the most odious offenders into shape, but I somehow didn't manage to get to my dining room table, which has become a holding zone for wayward and homeless items (and not for the first time). Consequently, that tops the list, in tandem with the counter in my office. 

Why in tandem? Because the system I'm using to keep track of my work files is working. Unfortunately, it's currently headquartered on my dining room table. Clearing the counter in the office (of a pile that was created when I removed a piece of furniture) means creating space so I can move the work files into the office, which will also clear space on the dining room table. 

Ah yes. The infamous domino organizing. 

Leading the charge in all of this clutter is, as usual, the homeless items. When a few odds and ends start to pile up, it's usually because I need to find them a home. When it goes beyond that, I can almost always put the offenders into categories, which helps me to identify a system that's not working.

Which is exactly the case here. 

Fortunately, I have some ideas. 

But it's definitely a process -- one I am looking forward to digging into.

No comments:

Post a Comment