Thursday, September 9, 2021

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Keys for Organizing Your Workspace


I am lucky enough to have dedicated office space at my house. Admittedly, it's a small room that never seems to have enough storage space, but I at least have the luxury of having a workspace to call my own. It's cluttered sometimes, but it's mine.

Over time, it has gone through numerous transformations and it's finally close to the way I want it. (Like me, it's a work in progress). While there are limitations to what I can do in tight quarters, I've managed to create a space that works for me (most days) by addressing a few key considerations.

Decide about your desk. When it comes to your desktop, are you a minimalist or are you inspired by trinkets and family photos? Although I've been a proud member of the clean desk club for over a year now (save for a few slip-ups), I like having trinkets, family photos and frequently used items close at hand, though I make sure to keep them on the perimeter of the desk so I have work space. Decide how you work best and design your desktop accordingly.

Think about how you think. Using STYLE-friendly tools is a start, but it's more than that. Do you need a whiteboard for drawing out ideas and making lists? A bookshelf to keep your favorite reads within reach? Or, are you perfectly content with a laptop and a folding table? While I'd love to have a full-sized whiteboard, there's really no good place to put it, so I ordered some peel-and-stick (removable) write on/wipe off circles (in coral) instead. They not only fit the space, but they add a pop of color as well. Consider the tools you need to fuel both your productivity and your creativity.

Separate the past from the present. No, I don't mean those photos of your pre-COVID cruise. Instead, I'm thinking about those files and folders and binders you haven't opened in six months that are still taking up prime real estate. If your office is spacious, and the files are neatly corralled, this might not be an issue. But if you, like me, are working in a small space, it might be beneficial to keep archived materials (the stuff we put in file cabinets) somewhere else, so you have plenty of room for what you're working on now. Make sure to keep it well-organized and/or labeled so you can access it quickly if you need to.

As for whether to use file folders, file boxes, accordion folders or traditional tools like binders, that decision is between you and your styles. But keep in mind that the first step to an organized workspace is making sure it fits the person who'll be working there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment