Thursday, May 13, 2021

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Keys to Peaceful Packing



About an hour ago, I finished compiling the last of my spring semester grades. Two classes are in, one will be input either later tonight or tomorrow morning. With the exception of one incomplete, that brings spring semester to a close, just in time for the first summer session, which starts Monday. In between, I have my daughter's graduation, postponed to this weekend from this time last year.

Would it surprise you to know I haven't packed a thing?

Well, that's not entirely true. I put my makeup bag together today when I put my makeup on. That way, when I put on my makeup tomorrow, I'll know immediately if I forgot to put something in the bag. There's also a pile of items on my bed, pulled from the clean laundry I was putting away this morning.

I'm a pack-as-I go kinda girl, which is a pretty perfect fit for my I need to see it personal style.

I'm behind schedule a bit on my usual pre-packbecause this week was all about getting grades done, but I'm actually right on schedule, based on the tentative time frame that's been running in my head since Monday. So, as soon as I finish writing this post, I need to go up and actually put some outfits together. Again, I've been running ideas through my head all week, so I'm optimistic that this is all possible.

If you're a planner, this post is probably making you twitch and, for that, I apologize. It's important to note, however, that everyone's definition of "planning" is a little different. As long as everything important makes it to the final destination in one piece, which form of planning is used to get it there is, in my opinion, irrelevant, unless someone else is depending on me to be a part of their planning. Luckily, we're all old enough to fend for ourselves around here.

Here are three key elements to my personal packing plan.

  • Pre-pack. I have duplicates of most of my personal items and the kinds of Mom things (toothpaste, bandages, tissues) that people usually ask for. These are packed year-round so all I need to do is grab the right bag and toss it into the suitcase (after a quick check that everything's fully stocked).
  • Pre-plan. Long before I've packed a thing, I'm making lists and running clothing combinations through my head. As I do laundry (pretty much always a given the day before we leave), I lay out what needs to go in the suitcase and put the rest away. 
  • Prepare. This is the actual packing part. Once I have everything laid out on the bed (what did you expect from someone with an I need to see it perosnal style?), it's time to transfer it to the designated packing container. These things are connected. Until I have it all laid out on the bed, I don't know which packing container I'll need.
tookapic via Pixabay

I can't say I never forget anything but I usually arrive at my destination with the most important items, along with a few that never make it out of the suitcase. I'm not usually an overpacker (I leave that to my husband), but I typically pack an extra set of clothes and an extra outer layer in case the weather is unpredictable. Oddly enough, the recognition that, in most cases, I can buy anything I've forgotten, has made packing less overwhelming. 

I'm not sure that packing will ever make my list of favorite things but preparing ahead of time makes me dread it less and makes things go more smoothly when I finally stop procrastinating.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to lay out some clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment