Thursday, April 9, 2020

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Reasons Now is a Good Time to Organize

Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
I realized last night that I hadn't opened my planner -- my beautiful planner that I just couldn't resist buying last year -- in days, or maybe more than a week. I realized this only when I was writing a blog post about things on my desk and found myself writing about the file bin that is its home. It makes me a little sad to think that right now, I have no need of my planner. After all, where am I going?

At the moment, organization is probably not at the top of your list -- but maybe it should be. No, this isn't a lecture -- if you've been reading this blog for more than 30 seconds you know that's not my style. Instead, I wanted to share three things about organization that make me feel grateful in these uncertain times.

Organization brings order to chaos. I'd love to tell you there's nothing resembling chaos anywhere in my house but that would be both untrue and amusing. But, as a work in progress, I appreciate the feeling I get every single time I whip one little corner of chaos into order.

Organization helps things go more smoothly. Making the switch from teaching face-to-face classes to teaching online was daunting and continues to be exhausting. Creating a system in my office that matches the way I work was essential to keeping all the moving pieces in some sort of order and helping me to maintain my sanity. Sure, a measured amount of chaos still reigns on my counter (and if I ever come up for air, I'll tackle it) but, every night, I clear my desk, plug in my laptop, and put the next day's materials on the table so I can begin the next day as calmly as possible.

Organization yields clear space, which yields peace. For me, the best thing about organizing is the creation of clear space where clutter once reigned (see organization/chaos above). A lovely, clear space creates a sense of calm and order that, for me, contributes to positive mental health.

Right now, amid the chaos swirling around us, there's so much we can't control. I don't know about
you, but I don't do helpless well. Making even a small organizational improvement makes me feel a little less stressed, a little more in control (even if I'm only Queen of the Mail Pile) and, of course, a little more organized.

That said, take care of you first, and organizing second. If the two happen to collide, so much the better.

Stay well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment