Thursday, November 21, 2019

True Confessions Wednesday: I Need Saturdays

True Confession #11: No matter how much I try to keep up with it, all the house stuff drops to the bottom of the list during the week.

Lately, my weekends have been busy. Mostly, they've been busy with good things, but they've been busy nevertheless. Blocking out a Saturday here, a Sunday afternoon there and occasionally, traveling one or more days during the week has begun to take its toll and has brought me to a clear realization.

I need Saturdays.

On Saturdays, my priorities shift. Rather than being crammed into the nooks and crannies of the day as they are during the week, house stuff and writing stuff top the list on Saturdays. My students, with few exceptions, stop sending emails sometime Friday afternoon and resume sometime Sunday, making it easy to step away from work emails and grading. My family is home and the house isn't always quiet, making it the right time to do tasks like clutter-busting and re-organizing.

Without my Saturdays, things fall apart rather quickly. While I can pick up as I go or toss a load of laundry in on a weekday, really digging in to the things I want to do around the house just doesn't happen.

This Saturday, for the first time in nearly a month, I will have time at home. While there will be some grading to do, I'm ready to dig into the piles that have popped up around my house during the weeks when my Saturdays were spoken for.

I can't wait to dig in.


No comments:

Post a Comment