Thursday, December 13, 2018

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Tools for Moving from Piles to Organization

DodgertonSkillhause via Morguefile
Yesterday, I tried to analyze the why behind my "I need to see it" piles in an effort to come up with a better solution. If I want to get rid of the piles (and I do), my solutions need to replicate the benefits of the piles (yes, there are benefits). In addition, there needs to be a why behind my solutions, too -- especially if I want them to work long-term.

As often happens, potential solutions came to me as I was writing yesterday's post. They honor my I need to see it personal style and they come with whys of their own
  • For my magazines, I'll go with lidless bins because they're deep enough to hold the pile of reading material I'm still optimistic I'll get to while keeping it organized and mostly out of sight. Best of all, they keep the magazines visible enough to appeal to my I need to see it style.
  • For those miscellaneous papers with deadlines and the great new ideas for class, I'll try (separate) clipboards because they keep things visible and, even if I leave it where I can see it, it's neater than a random pile.
Pixabay
  • The stuff to be filed needs to be filed for obvious reasons. To make that easier, I need to keep refining my filing systems so that it's easy to both put things away in a way that makes sense and remember what labeling system I chose when I filed things away. I'm still working on this one, but I've learned that the necessary ingredients are open-top files, limited space (multiple small files beat one big, dark, closed drawer), colorful file folders... 
... and motivation.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment