Thursday, July 5, 2018

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Keys to Sprucing Up Your Wardrobe When You Don't Have Time to Shop

Photo: Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
When I was in my 20s, I loved to shop till I dropped. Now, not only do I drop sooner, I enjoy the whole process less, with the possible exception of shopping with my daughter (but that has more to do with the company than the task).

Sometimes, going shopping is inevitable. The season is changing and last season's clothes are too big, too small or in some other way not just right. We need a special article of clothing -- black pants for a concert, a dress for a special occasion, or a pair of shoes that isn't run down or worn out.

Other times, we get tired of looking in the closet and drawing a total blank. A few hours of shopping can yield a couple of new pieces that liven things up and make us feel a little more stylish and put together. Or, maybe our whole wardrobe needs an overhaul.

Last spring, I found myself in that need to shop place. I agreed to teach a summer class, which meant that, in addition to preparing my course, I needed to do something about my summer professional wardrobe, which was nonexistent. With neither the time nor the inclination to hit the mall for hours on end, I used a few strategies that let me shop when it was convenient for me and that required no dropping whatsoever.

Need to update your wardrobe? Here are my three keys to updating when time, energy and motivation are short.

1. Shop online. This is a great way to check out new vendors and add some spice to your wardrobe, but if you're not feeling adventurous, there are advantages to sticking with what you know. Does your favorite store have an online presence? Not only will you know the clothes fit, but you can also save money on shipping. Most companies will ship to their stores for free and will allow you to bring returns to the store instead of mailing them back. If not, check for free shipping; sometimes, you can find free shipping and  free returns. Check return policy. Both is rare, but I have seen it.

2. Consider a wardrobe in a box. There are a variety of services -- Dia & Co., Stitch Fix, Gwynnie Bee -- that put together boxes with a selection of items delivered to your doorstep, based on what you tell them you want. Then, you get to try everything on in the privacy of your home, mix it with things you already own, keep what you want and send the rest back. Kinda cool.

3. Consider a color scheme. A major portion of my wardrobe consists of clothing that is black, white  or solid bright colors. Others swear by an all-neutral palette or have an entire wardrobe of the same basic pieces (pants, tee shirts) in multiple colors. While it's nice to have a few splashy pieces, a wardrobe that fits together saves time and can be economical as well since pieces don't gather dust waiting to be worn with the one other item they match. Solid colors mix and match well and can  easily be jazzed up with accessories.

Photo: Nietjuh via Pixabay


Today, I came home to a wardrobe box on my front step. I kept two pieces, one of which perfectly  matches a skirt I previously purchased. The rest went into a postage-paid envelope, and then I scheduled my next delivery. In the meantime, all of this playing with clothes led me to tackling the closet...

...but that's a story for another day.

2 comments:

  1. I need conference clothes. First I have to scroll through social media to find out what I've worn to previous conferences! Don't want any reruns :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmigosh I forgot all about conference clothes! Luckily, I think the school clothes will suffice :-)

    ReplyDelete