Thursday, January 9, 2020

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Key Tools for Staying on Task

Photo: Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
Between semesters, I try to kick my writing into high gear. Although I'm excited to dig into projects and spend more time on them, I sometimes find that I get distracted, which impacts not only how quickly I get to work, but how well I continue working as well.

Over time, I've come up with ways to keep myself on task -- most days, anyway. If you, like me, struggle to stay on task even when the task is something you want to do, maybe these three simple tools can help you, too.

A timer. Have you promised yourself to spend a set amount of time on a particular task? If so, a timer is a simple way to keep yourself honest. It can be a kitchen timer, the timer on your phone or even a timer set by a digital assistant like Alexa or Google Home. I use timers regularly for my writing sprints and organizing "small steps." Knowing the timer is keeping track keeps me from keeping one eye on the clock and helps me remain focused and in the zone.

A notepad. After a more-than-adequate period of procrastination during which no random thoughts other things, especially if what I'm supposed to be working on is difficult. Luckily, the solution is simple. Keeping a notepad and a writing implement at my workspace doesn't quite eliminate the temptation to bail and do something else, but it does give me permission to stop working for the ten seconds it takes to write down the task in question and then get back to work. Immediately.
arrive unbidden, I sit down to work, only to unleash a string of reminders to work on every nagging task on the planet. (Okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration). If I'm not careful, it's easy to keep popping up and down to do all of those

DarkWorkX via Pixabay
A workspace. I have the luxury of being home alone most weekdays, which means I can work anywhere in the house. Most of the time, I work either in my office or in the family room and I have set up both of those spaces to be work-friendly. The main tools I need are easily at my disposal, so I have no excuse to stop working and go get something. It's all right there, so I can grab what I need, whether a pen, a pair of scissors or a tissue, and get back to work. Immediately.

No matter how well-prepared we are for the task at hand, motivation is something we just can't bottle. But, if we can keep distractions at bay, we have a much better chance of getting from start to finish with few interruptions in the time we've allotted for the task.

And then, when we're finished, we can check it off the list.


No comments:

Post a Comment