Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Tweaking the System

amazon.com
For the past decade, or close to it, I've used the same type of desktop calendar: a notepad-style, page-a-day calendar with lines perfect for making lists and keeping track of appointments. But this year, I began to question whether or not it was earning its keep in terms of the real estate it took up on my desk. So, when I couldn't find one when I was looking for my 2018 calendars (honestly, I didn't look very hard), I decided to go a different way.

I'm thrilled with the planner I purchased on sale in January, although it is not, in fact, serving as a planner for appointments and lists as much as a planner for ideas and projects. I'm liking it...but it hasn't replaced the tool it was supposed to replace.

Overall, the system that has evolved has been a good one, but I'm still finding too many loose ends. My writers' group sticky note, for example.

Over the two decades I've been going to my writers' group, I've allowed procrastination to reign. Each month, I find that I'm down to the wire in getting ready for it. Several years into my notepad planner system, I got tired of the meeting sneaking up on me, so I took a bright pink sticky note, wrote "Writers' Group Next Week!" on it and inserted it into my notepad calendar, sticking it to a page in the week before the meeting.

That's right. A week ahead of time. My simple, cheap anti-procrastination device.

This afternoon, as I was once again suffering through last minute-itis before my meeting, I thought of that sticky note. I mentally ran through all the tools I'm using, but could find no good place for that magical sticky note in my current system. Sure, there are other ways I can remind myself that the meeting is coming up, but that sticky note was perfect for my I need to see it personal style.

So tonight, after the meeting, I did a little online searching. I found lots of cute notepad calendars, but most were too big and/or too expensive. I'm not usually cheap when it comes to tools that I know will work, but a $13 notepad that would do the same job as a 99¢ memo pad from Target was a hard sell.

When I found the notepad above for less than $6, I decided it was worth a shot. Sure, a cheaper notepad might be workable, but this one, already imprinted with weekdays and the magical phrase "Next Week" seemed like just what I was looking for. I'm excited for it to arrive, and optimistic that it will help me rein in my procrastination.

Now I just need to find a place for it on my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment