Thursday, May 10, 2018

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Keys to Getting it All Done When You Have Too Much to Do

Photo: Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
This morning, I administered my final final. As I type this, I'm in the car on the way to Connecticut to pick up my daughter from college. (My husband is driving, obviously). A week from today, I leave for a writing conference at which I am presenting two workshops.

I think it's safe to say that life is busy.

Although I wouldn't have chosen to cram quite so much stuff into so little space (a recurring theme!), it's all stuff I either want to do (see my daughter, go to the writing conference) or accept that I have to do (grade papers, give finals, calculate grades). Meanwhile, regular life tasks remain on the list as well. 

Though I can't say times like this aren't stressful, I've learned that they are manageable. Here are three keys to getting through the times that challenge our time management techniques.
  • Focus. Make lists by due date, color-code them, create a big calendar -- whatever works best for your styles -- but do make a list. This is not the time to keep track of things in your head. Then prioritize in a deliberate manner. Create your Big 3 for each day (or each morning and afternoon, if necessary), set things up by due dates -- again, whatever works. Best part? Cross each thing off (or erase it, if you're a whiteboard fan like I am) as you accomplish it. 
  • Take strategic breaks. No matter how long the list, you can't work 24-7. Spend some breaks doing things that need to be done but aren't as urgent (cooking dinner and doing laundry never looked so good!) just to change your focus for a bit, but don't forget to give your body and brain a real break as well. It can feel counterintuitive to stop working when there is still a lot to do, but the goal is to keep the momentum going. When you feel yourself stalling or getting cranky, you need a break.
  • Don't forget the basics. Eat. Sleep. Talk to actual human beings. Burying yourself in work is exhausting. Recharging physically and socially is essential to both physical and psychological fitness.  
This afternoon, as I contemplate having just one more set of papers to grade, I'm proud of what I've accomplished in the past two weeks. What lies ahead is busy, but less intense, and I'm certain it's within my grasp. 

Especially after some family time and a night out with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment