Friday, December 22, 2017

3 Keys Thursday/Friday: 3 Keys for Managing the Holiday Countdown



Late again! My apologies. The collision of the end of the semester, the week before Christmas and getting my dad situated in his new digs closer to us means my blogs took a hit. As I looked back on last year's pre-Christmas posts for inspiration, I decided to rework one I wrote this time last year. The advice still holds, and bears repeating.

Three days until Christmas. Ready or not, here it comes!

I'm not ready, but I'm also not stressed. Of course, it helps to stay in the house and away from the traffic and panic going on "out there." Today, I tackled cards (better late than never) and most of the wrapping. Tomorrow, I bake...and wrap some more. One step at a time.

In any event, Christmas will be here in three days. I can enjoy the process, or I can make myself a nervous wreck. Here's how I plan to do the former:

Pixabay
Prioritize. Now that the semester is over and my grades have been turned in, I'm ready to make Christmas top priority. After Christmas, a new list awaits...but I'm not even thinking about most of that just yet.

Don't take on other people's stress. Since I'm perfectly capable of stressing myself out without any outside assistance, I prefer not to outsource. My husband's lists often look different from my own, and it's all too easy to get sucked into tasks that are low priority for me. If I'm following my first key, it's easy to remind myself that what my priorities are. If they don't line up with someone else's, not only is that okay, but I also don't have to accept that person's stress as my own.

Don't forget to have fun. Aside from family and friends, sense of humor is probably the most important thing to keep close by in the days leading up to Christmas. As time ticks away, so do patience and energy, and it's easy to take the merry out of Christmas. Nurture that sense of humor by remembering to sit down and take a break occasionally, even if you can only squeeze in a few minutes of downtime. There's no thing so important that it's worth all of your time and energy.

Regardless of what you celebrate, how you celebrate it, or with whom, I wish you a season of relaxation and celebration.

And, of course, STYLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment