Thursday, November 30, 2017

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Keys for Bringing the Christmas Spirit

Dodgerton Skillhause via Morguefile
Yesterday, I wrote about creating balance in my work life but, at this time of the year, that's only part of the story. All of those end-of-semester responsibilities I'm juggling are set against a very important backdrop: the holidays.

My love for Christmas runs deep and, although this will be my first Christmas without my mom, I still want to celebrate, even if it will feel different. Last weekend, bored of our usual outdoor holiday decorations, my husband started cooking up some new ideas and after some shopping and discussion, we created a new look -- one I love.

In addition, for the second year in a row, we put up the tree -- much earlier than I was ready for -- because we wanted to do it while my daughter was home from college. And, as I type this, I'm doing so by the light of a small Christmas tree with Christmas in Rockefeller Center playing in the background. The tree used to stand in my parents' living room and, right now, it's bedecked only in white lights. For now, that's enough.

Last year at this time, I reflected on three things I think holiday decorating should be. This year, I'm striving for the same goals. I want my decorating, planning and celebrating to be:

Fun. Although I had no desire to put up a Christmas tree in November, it wouldn't have been any fun putting it up without my daughter, and none of us wanted to wait until the very hectic week before Christmas. While decorating can't always be fun, deciding when and how to approach the task, whether all at once or a little at a time, can make a difference.

Peaceful. While this may be too much to hope for in the actual process, it's not too much to expect from the end product. Decorating, whether for every day or for the holidays, should enhance your home. I love coming home late in the afternoon and switching on the tree, candles and white lights that are part of the decor. It almost makes up for daylight savings time.

Meaningful. Our Christmas tree is bedecked with a collection of ornaments we've been growing since my husband and I were first married. My parents' tree has its special spot, particularly this year. Our nativity scene, which will go up closer to Christmas, will have its place of honor as well. Making sure there's a reminder of the reason for the season and the people who matter is an important part of getting ready for the holidays.

Whenever and how ever you decide to do it, may all of your decorating be merry and bright.

And STYLE-ish, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment