Thursday, September 14, 2017

3 Keys Thursday: 3 Small Steps with a Big Payoff

Yesterday, I focused on the T in STYLE: Take small steps. Today, I thought I'd revisit a few small steps that help to ensure my days go a little more smoothly.  
  • Pack my lunch the night before. The contents of the kitchen won't change between dinner one night and mid-morning the next day. Packing my lunch, stashing it in the fridge and leaving myself a bright, visual reminder to retrieve it (fuchsia sticky note, anyone?) will save me precious get-out-of-the-house time. And, since I'm an I need to see it person, my favorite place to leave the sticky note is on the door I have to walk through when I leave the house.
  • Lay out my piles. This is something I'd do the night before if I lived alone. But, since other members of my family tend to object to my taking up the sofa or dining room table with my class-by-class files, I wait until morning to do this. Now that I have some clear space on the counter in my office, perhaps I can do it the night before.
My I need to see it personal style in action.
  • Check my calendar.  During the semester, my schedule has a pretty predictable rhythm, but there are always those days when extra appointments or meetings sneak in. Ideally, I've done a review of the week ahead sometime between Friday and Sunday night, but a quick peek at the calendar the night before is always a good idea as well. In addition to refreshing my memory for places I need to be and people I need to see, it gives me the opportunity to pencil items from my to-do list into my schedule. 
What small steps do you swear by to make days run more smoothly?

No comments:

Post a Comment