Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Lists, Goals and Styles

TP Heinz via Pixabay
For the past couple of weeks, I've been writing about goal-setting and list-making, sharing some of the things that work for me. For example, as an I need to see it person, I love dumping "stuff" out of my head and onto paper. But, if the list gets too long, I need to subdivide it -- and sometimes create smaller lists on separate sheets of paper -- so I don't get overwhelmed. Whether I'm creating lists or setting goals, this process, true to my personal style, leads the way.

Different styles have different preferences. For example:



  • If your personal style is I need to see it,  you might subdivide and color-code.
  • If you're a cram and jammer, you might consider it a personal challenge to get as many items as possible onto a single page.
  • If you're a drop and run organizer, perhaps you make your list, set it down and then forget about it, only to return to it later.
  • If you have an I love stuff personal style, you might need to find just the right paper before you can begin to create your list.
  • If you're an I know I put it somewhere organizer, you might make fabulous lists only to have them go missing because you put them in a "safe place."
  • If you have an I love to be busy personal style, you might separate your lists by activity, giving each its own column, or maybe even its own sheet of paper.
In my case, my list-making (and, by extension, my goal-setting layout) definitely reflects my styles, but that's not necessarily true for everyone. Whether your list-making style mimics your personal and/or organizational styles or deviates from them isn't what matters. What matters is whether or not your process, whether for making lists or setting goals -- works for you. With lists, as with all other aspects of organizing, one size does not fit all. 

If you're not sure what your style is, or suspect it might have changed over time, check out the styles quiz and see where your answers fall. Then, keep them in mind as you create lists and set goals, whether for organization or some other aspect of your life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment