Saturday, September 5, 2015

Organization Extra: Choosing the Perfect Planner

passionplanner.com
Last week, I devoted time in my classes to discussions about planners. In my 200-level class, I sought opinions on the topic, in order to share upperclass wisdom with my freshmen (and to illustrate the concept of descriptive research). In my freshman classes, I assigned "planner show and tell," putting them in groups to discus the attributes of each other's planners, then creating a master list on the board of what people look for when they buy a planner.

When I was working full-time as a school counselor, I spent a lot of time and money tracking down the "just right" planner. Motivated at first by a Marcia Ramsland book I was reading, this quest became an annual event -- one that I thought was just one of my little idiosyncrasies. But the more I talk to people across a wide spectrum of ages, the more I realize how much planners matter to us.

In Thursday's post, I'll talk more about planners, but for today, I'd like to leave you with an example
suggested to me by friend and fellow author Laurie J. Edwards. I haven't ordered one yet because so far, what I'm using is working. But I think the Passion Planner is definitely worth a look. It comes in a several styles (I'm eyeing the academic classic because I like lots of space to write and I still think of the world in academic years), gives you lots of stuff at a glance, and I like that it was created by a young entrepreneur.

But try not to plan too much this weekend. It is, after all, a holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment