Thursday, May 28, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Kids and Organization

Today's Throwback Thursday isn't another blog, but rather an article I wrote for Teachers of Vision magazine called "Defeating Desk Disasters with STYLE." As a school counselor, I saw so many bright, creative kids done in by disorganization. Most of the time, this bothered them less than it bothered the adults around them, but as they got older, the negative feedback they received began to impact their views of themselves as well.

Organizing By STYLE actually began in an elementary school, when I decided I needed an attitude adjustment to face an office change, and, in fairly short order, chose to take the things I'd been learning to my students. It was so gratifying to watch the changes in them as they discovered that failure to organize traditionally was not a character flaw or a sign of inferiority. It's hard to believe this has been my organizing mantra for almost nine years.

As we move forward here, I'll be doing some posts about using the STYLE ideas with kids. And, if there are things you'd like to "hear" about, leave me a comment and I'll do my best to cook up a reply!

No comments:

Post a Comment